How To Test Your Heating System
Cooler weather will be here sooner than you think! As department stores start to stock their shelves with winter clothing, you too should begin preparing! Test your heating system now to make sure it's running properly and to ensure you aren't left in the cold when temperatures start to drop.
Checking your system is easy – just follow these steps:
- Check that the emergency switch is in the "on" position and turn up the thermostat at least 10 degrees higher than the actual room temperature.
- Wait. Within a few minutes you should hear your heating equipment hum into action.
- If the equipment doesn't start up, press the reset button on your burner's relay. Press it just once.
If your system still doesn't start, consider these points before calling your local heating oil dealer:
- Are the emergency switches on? (There may be two: one at the stairs and one at the boiler.)
- Did the fuse or circuit breaker for your equipment trip?
- Is the thermostat set properly?
If your boiler or furnace still won't start, contact your local heating oil dealer, and they’ll have your system working right away!